Newsletter
Language
Language:
 
News
Archival Issues
Volume 18, 2016
Volume 17, 2015
Volume 16, 2014
Volume 15, 2013
Volume 14, 2012
Volume 13, 2011
Volume 12, 2010
Volume 11, 2009
Volume 10, 2008
Volume 9, 2007
Volume 8, 2006
Volume 7, 2005
Volume 6, 2004
Volume 5, 2003
Volume 4, 2002
Volume 3, 2001
Volume 2, 2000
Volume 1, 1999
Search
 » 
Journal Abstract
 
Chronic Recurrent Multifocal Osteomyelitis (CRMO) in Children – Single-centre Clinical Observations and Experience
Artur Oberc, Jerzy Sułko
Ortop Traumatol Rehabil 2014; 16(3):297-305
ICID: 1112286
Article type: Original article
IC™ Value: 3.00
Abstract provided by Publisher
 
Background. CRMO is characterized by chronic bone pain of recurrent nature. The onset is usually at the beginning of the second decade of life. Bony lesions may be visible on radiographs, although sometimes a CT or MRI scan is necessary to visualise them. The aim of study was analyse symptoms, diagnostic difficulties and results of accessory investigations in patients suffering from CRMO.
Material and methods. Medical records of 42 patients with CRMO were analysed to assess: age at onset of the disease, symptoms reported, location of lesions and abnormalities in laboratory and imaging studies.
Results. The medical records of 42 children, including 16 boys (38%) and 26 girls (62%), were analysed. The median age at onset was 10.5 years. The first symptom was bone pain in 34 patients (81%), with the remaining 8 (19%) presenting with widened bone contour in the absence of pain. Initially, only 5 (12%) subjects had multiple foci, whereas the vast majority (88%) presented with a single lesion. During exacerbations, osteocalcin levels were significantly elevated, increasing to a mean of 34 ng/ml (max. 68, min.14.6) against a reference upper limit of 13.7 ng/ml. Diagnostic difficulties and complications were found in 18 children.
Conclusions. 1. Familiarity with CRMO in orthopaedic clinical practice is indispensable in differential diagnosis with other bone diseases, including those suggestive of malignancy. 2. Correctly diagnosed CRMO is managed conservatively as a treatment of choice.

ICID 1112286

DOI 10.5604/15093492.1112286
PMID 25058105 - click here to show this article in PubMed
 
FULL TEXT 846 KB


Related articles
  • in IndexCopernicus™
         niebakteryjne zapalenia kości [0 related records]
         wielomiejscowe zapalenie kości i szpiku [0 related records]
         nonbacterial osteomyelitis [0 related records]
         multifocal osteomyelitis [0 related records]
         CRMO [0 related records]

  • Related articlesin PubMed database
  • in PubMed database [ related records]


  •  

    Copyright © Ortopedia Traumatologia Rehabilitacja  2017
    Page created by Index Copernicus Ltd. All Rights reserved.